How did the disciples become disciples?
Jesus selected them.
- Apprenticing: selecting, modeling, and coaching for the purpose of replacing yourself.
- The New Testament Term: Disciple
- He began with succession in mind.
- He handpicked those to whom he would entrust his mission. He didn’t ask for volunteers.
- He rarely did ministry alone
- But . . . He gave his disciples opportunities to do ministry alone while he was still around to debrief. – Luke 9:1-6,10
A. “But I’m not an expert!”
- You will never feel like you are adequately prepared to apprentice another leader.
- You are not responsible for: Knowing everything there is to know about your field or knowing more than everyone else about your field.
- You are responsible for passing along what you know to somebody else.
- Your responsibility is to empty your cup!
B. “But what will I do?”
- In a healthy organization, if you replace yourself, you will always have a place.
- In an unhealthy organization . . .
- You become a multi-site leader.
- You become a multi-generational leader.
- Hire for the future.
- Don’t work alone.
- Remember your MEDs.
Model – Here’s what I do.
Explain – Here’s why I do it.
Demonstrate – Here’s how I do it.
Your assignment: Replace Yourself!
Success is not mearsured by how capable you are of handling your responsibilities.
Success is ultimately measured by whether or not you leave responsibilities in capable hands.